This easy chocolate pudding recipe is vegan, dairy-free, and gluten-free, making it the perfect chocolate pudding dessert recipe for all!
Homemade chocolate pudding, oh so sweet!
What memories do you have of pudding? It reminds me of my childhood – pudding was a simple and popular treat for kids and we had it all the time. Since then, pudding has changed and so have I!
I wanted to make a chocolate pudding recipe that wasn’t full of preservatives like some of the pre-packaged kinds, and that is dairy-free. I have been watching my sugar and dairy intake, so making a homemade chocolate pudding recipe was the way to go.
Try our vegan chocolate pudding
Try our dairy-free and vegan chocolate pudding, it only uses 5 ingredients (+ 2 optional ones), tastes really, really good, and it’s fairly easy to make. I am always on the lookout for easy gluten-free desserts, and this pudding fits the bill.
First, you will combine all of the dry ingredients, cocoa powder, sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a small bowl.
Heat up the wet ingredients in a saucepan, then, add the dry ingredients and stir until smooth. We then transferred the chocolate pudding to a mason jar for refrigerating. Get the step-by-step instructions and measurements for the ingredients below.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 3/4 cups almond milk
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)
- Non-dairy whipped topping (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch, and salt.
- Warm a saucepan to medium heat, add the cocoa powder mixture from above and stir in almond milk little by little until the mixture is hot, bubbles slightly, and is smooth and creamy.
- Stir in vanilla extract thoroughly (optional).
- Remove from heat and transfer pudding mixture into a mason jar or other sealable container and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
- Spoon pudding into dishes, top with optional whipped topping, and serve!
- You can use any milk you desire, but I happen to keep almond at home. I think oat and soy milk would be great with this recipe as well.
- Top this recipe with anything you desire - cookie crumbles, marshmallows, chocolate shavings, graham crackers, almonds, etc.
Enjoy this homemade pudding recipe!
Of all of the pudding dessert recipes I have tried, this one takes the cake – or, the pudding! The texture is creamy and smooth, just like original pudding recipes I’ve had over the years.
Try our chocolate pudding at home with your family. It is vegan and allergy-friendly, so it’s perfect for all chocolate lovers! Also, if you love chocolate, take a look at the other chocolate desserts we’ve shared and try out this double chocolate pudding pie – it looks amazing and would go perfect with this non-diary recipe!