This lemon blueberry bars recipe is the perfect mix of tart and sweet. Fresh lemon juice, blueberries, and powdered sugar make this a tasty and easy dessert!
Blueberry lemon squares
It’s a new year, so that means we need new desserts, am I right? I know that a lot of us have resolutions, many of them being weight loss, so sugar might not be something you’re looking to eat. I am also big on watching my sugar intake but I loooove a good dessert, so healthier dessert options are my compromise.
Lemon season is around the corner, so I wanted to try making something I love – lemon bars. I added a twist to the normal recipe by thinking of a great compliment to the flavor of lemon. Blueberries made the cut, so we decided to give this lemon and blueberry bars dessert a try!
How do you make lemon bars?
Lemon bars are pretty easy to make. They consist of two layers – a crust on the bottom and the lemon filling on the top. For this recipe, we have made a simple shortbread crust and used fresh lemon juice and blueberries in the lemon layer. We added fresh blueberries because they go so well with lemon and the results are delicious. Prep, bake, chill, and eat!
Lemon Blueberry Bars Recipe
Take a look at our blueberry lemon squares recipe below. You can find the ingredients for lemon bars below and the step by step instructions to make the best recipe for lemon bars out there!
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup confectioners sugar
Lemon filling layer
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup confectioners sugar + extra for dusting
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 2 tsp. lemon zest
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x9 baking pan with foil.
- To make the shortbread crust, combine 1 stick butter, 1 cup flour, and 1/4 cup of confectioners sugar in a medium mixing bowl. Stir until ingredients are moistened.
- Spread the shortbread dough evenly along the bottom of the foil-lined pan, pressing firmly. Bake for 13-15 minutes or until crust is lightly browned.
- While the crust is baking, grab a large mixing bowl and add eggs, 1 cup confectioners sugar, lemon juice, and 2 tbsp. flour and mix well. Add lemon zest, then blueberries. Stir gently.
- When the shortbread crust is finished, remove it from the oven and immediately pour the lemon filling mixture over the top. Some of the blueberries tend to float, so you can arrange them how you'd like them to look on the top of the lemon bars when they are finished.
- Pop the lemon bars back into the oven for 15-18 minutes. When baking is complete, allow bars to cool for 20-30 minutes, then cover and place them in the refrigerator for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Remove the pan from the refrigerator and pull the foil off of the edges of the pan. Gently pull out the entire lemon ba dessertr by the foil and place it on a hard surface. Dust with remaining powdered sugar, then cut into bars with a large knife and serve.
Give these easy lemon squares a try!
Easy desserts are my go-to and I think this is the best recipe for lemon squares out there. I have only had better lemon bars in Paris, so I think I did a pretty good job! If you like this recipe, take a look at our other fruit dessert recipes for more inspiration.